Red line, Red hooks, Are fish THAT stupid to think the minnow is bleeding?

Okay fellow fisherman,

I have been keeping an eye on the red hook, red line craze ever since the 21st century began and it seemed quite ridiculous at first..... Until I tried it.... it didn't seem ridiculous... IT WAS RIDICULOUS. It didn't make me catch more fish, in fact made me catch less. After 2 hours of fishing with a "bleeding hook" I switched to a NORMAL hook and Whoa! what magic. 15 bass in about 1 hour.

I want to know your opinion on "red" hooks, line;etc. Does this work for you, or is it the same for you?

IS THIS TOPIC INTERESTING?

CHECK OUT WWW.ILIVETOFISH.COM

Views: 1832

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You guys are missing to how purpose behind the red line and some of the ideas behind the red hooks. Red light is the first light to be filtered out of water. So, the hooks and line at a certain depth that line and hooks disappear. Also smell for Bass are primarily used for social cues more than for feeding purposes, not to say that bass don't use smell for feeding, just not as much as people think.
Moose are colour blind so blaze orange dosent matter ...thats the theory behind blaze orange...HOWEVER ....It still must look different than its souroundings...RED HOOKS.....red light filtered or not the hook takes up space light has to reflect off of (or is blocked by)...the fish see something ..
Hunter Orange stands out because it is a plain textured object amongst other objects. Water works a little bit different than land. Color blindness and light filtering out are two completely different subjects. Every object that we see reflects light that varies on the light spectrum. If that certain wave length on the light spectrum gets filtered out it cannot be seen. But yes you are right, if a bass approaches the lure from underneath, he can see that something is blocking the light. So it is not like they completely vanish. Have you ever tried finding a small red object on the floor in a room that has nothing but a red light? It is hard to see that object, unless we look for shadows or any other variations.
just reminded me of a trick to find tiny droped objects on multi coloured floors.. put your ear to the floor and close your upper eye ...works awsome
The current belief is that red is just another color that you should have in your arsenal, not some magical color that catches more fish.
I dont believe there is an advantage to using red hooks or line. I have red line on one of my rods simple because it matches the colors of the rod and reel. If I get a lure with red hooks, I'll use them as is out of the box but not with the impression that the color works any better than regular hooks. Lets try to remember that fish are instinctive and stupid.
go back some comments see my thoughts on colour...i wont look at your profile(to see if your a pure bass only fisherman) till you read all my comments and why colour MAY matter with red hooks...instinctive yes...stupid? some species more than others........by the way ,from now on your only allowed to fish with a pink lure and all one type of lure in your box..if colour dosent matter what does lure type matter,after all fish are instinctive and stupid,if it moves its food...sorry couldnt resist that last sentence....cheers
Being that this is a discussion about weather the color red improves my chances of catching fish, it is my personal opinion that the color red on hooks, line, or lures does not increase my catching ability. Lure selection and action however is a different story and requires a different discussion. My lure selection process revolves more around natural looking baits anyway. I've never seen a red (or pink) minnow or shad, and the only red crawfish I've seen was on my dinner plate. I agree with your comments on "stupid". I may have used the wrong word there. Bass end up schooling me anyway on the water.
yup fish arnt totaly dum thats what gives us a challenge and keeps it interesting..I was basicly making the point things such as colour matter by making an extreme lure situation..if it didnt matter you could throw anything out there,a brown stick with a single hook attached :^)...a red tip on a common fly pattern here out fishes the normal pattern three to one at times..you notice colour differencs mattering more with fly fishing ..thats what sucked me into this thread on red hooks i got thinking about how much it matters with a tiny fly at times on pools we share and take turns fishing when you can see the fish and are trying different flys till you hit the magic colour, then hook several of the fish that ignored previous colour flys..and yes every type of fish will react differently but where it matters to salmon got me thinking may play a roll sometimes with bass....cheers
I agree with u totally, sometimes i think a lure is good looking and thats why i use it whether its red, blue, or any other color. The action a lure makes is far more important than its color. most of the time bass hit on a reaction strike anyway. u should choose a variety of colors until you find something that works...thats fishing. once u find a general pattern that produces consistent results then go with that. Every body of water has bass that will react differently and you have to go with what works.
I read an article published in the In-Fisherman magazine awhile back. The out come of the study was that yes bass see the color red, but in no way can they associate that with a wounded fish. Scent and erratic movements of a wounded bait fish are the main attractants. That’s not to say that a flashy red hook won’t give a lure that something else to make it stand out from the rest.
I agree with you. Think about sharks-they attack people on surfboards because it looks like a seal from below. The movements attract them, and so does the scent of blood. It's not the color of blood.

RSS

Fishing Photos

• Add Photos

Fishing Videos

• Add Fishing Videos

Fishing Groups

Fishing tips, adivce, and bragging are what fishing is all about. This is North America's largest fishing social network.

© 2019   Created by GetReeled.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service