I work as A guide for Atlantic Salmon Here In Newfoundland Canada .Anyone Needing tips On Gear Times Or Tactics feal free to ask...My Biggest Salmon was 40 lbs on 8 lb leader useing a 7 wt flyrod and took well over an hr to land.I hooked it during daylight and it was dark when i landed it!!!

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's the best method for Salmon fishing? Drift-boat, shore, or charter? I've only been Salmon-fishing three-four times, but had mediocre luck each time. (usually in Alaska) Nice catch btw
here in newfoundland we fish top water with a fly rod on river systems its most always done by wading the creeks although there are bigger rivers which are fished from boat ,fishing with bait is prohibited its flyfishing only....However in lakes and ponds these salmon rivers link to you may use spoons ect and they will hit them quite frequently...
I find atlantic salmon agressivly attack a dry fly and for first time flyfishermen for atlantics its what i would recomend as less finess is required simply let it dead drift with the current over the resting fish . setting the hook is key and it helps the angler see the fish rise as they can more easily see the drifting fly and set when it disapears..Atlantics do not eat when in fresh water returning to spawn ,they take on reflex then quickly spit the fly back out thats where getting the feal for timeing in setting the hook comes in.after getting this feal an angler is better prepared to move on to "wet' flys which ride slightly below the surface the ,fishes rise being harder to see and is more of a challenge in setting the hook. salmon rest in pools in the river most time in front of rocks much the same way a porpoise uses the bow wave from a boat...basicly if you see a fish rise it is laying in that spot and carefull observation of a pool before starting fishing will help you chances of placing the fly in front of the fish.Dont be fooled by jumpers many times these fish are moving up the pool to the next nice resting spot ,look for a rock or eddy above the fishs jump to do your fishing.Unless of course you see a rise in the same spot the jump may have been caused by an eel nipping at the fish as it was laying.Any natural tilt you see in a river salmon will lay above and below this tilt where the river again appears to flatten out as well as in front of rocks that hold calmer looking water directly on this tilt although not nearly in the numbers that will lay in these '"Flat" spots on the river.

RSS

Fishing Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Fishing Videos

• Add Fishing Videos

Fishing Groups

Fishing tips, adivce, and bragging are what fishing is all about. This is North America's largest fishing social network.

© 2017   Created by GetReeled.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service